Welcome to Cate Edits! Whether this is your first book or your fiftieth, I’m here to make sure your book puts its best page forward. Okay, that was a terrible metaphor, but I don’t take myself too seriously. I will take your manuscript seriously.
In your hunt for an editor you will read plenty of these about sections, all of them will list degrees, accreditations and awards. What you really want to know is, what will I do for you, how long it will take, and how much will it cost. If those are the things you want to know, keep reading. Once you’re done reading, send me an email. If this is your first experience searching for an editor, know that I don’t bite and it isn’t something you need to be nervous about.
What can I do for you?
I offer several services listed below. If you want to know more about any of them, click through to services.
- One-on-one coaching — Whether you’re sitting down with no idea how to write your first book or just need a little help with your current project, this can be a helpful way to kick things into gear. I offer both single sessions where I can answer questions, work through a specific issue, or give you hints for a specific part of your process, and packages that can take you from the planning stage right through to publishing.
- Group coaching — This is specifically aimed at those who need a little help to work through their project. This runs three times a year with the goal of going from planning to publishing during the program. There are weekly check-ins and Facebook lives, plus worksheets to keep you on track.
- Novel and series planning — assistance in planning your novel and series to get the most out of your ideas and characters and minimize time spent rewriting.
- Manuscript assessment — a detailed critique of your manuscript based on current industry trends and general writing form.
- Developmental editing — big picture structural editing looking at plot, character development, setting, and any other important areas. This is offered at two levels, with the first being more akin to a manuscript assessment with only minimal support after the initial report, and the second being closer to coaching with a set amount of video or chat calls dedicated to improving the project.
- Line editing — improving word choice at the sentence level to ensure clarity and emotional impact.
- Copy editing — checking that your manuscript is in line with industry standards. This includes spelling and grammar checking.
- Formatting — get your ebook and/or print book looking professional and ready to be uploaded to all platforms.
- Proofreading — final check to pick-up any missed errors.
I work with US English (Chicago Manual of Style), UK English (New Oxford Style Manual), and Australian English (Snooks and Co. Style Manual).
How long will it take?
I will always respond to you within 24 hours, and I’ll provide you with an update on Friday for any multi-week projects.
Any project up to 100,000 words will be completed in two weeks (don’t forget to factor in time for your own reviews, particularly for developmental and line editing). Projects up to 200,000 words will be returned within four weeks.
If you need your project returned a little quicker I offer a rush service. This fee essentially covers the added stress and minor inconvenience that comes along with the shorter time frame. You have three options here, the first is to shave a week from the quoted time, second is to drop a 100,000 word or less project to a maximum of three days, and the third is to shave two weeks from a 100,000+ word project. This rush fee never exceeds $125 for option two, never more than $75 for option three, and never more than $50 for option one.
How much will it cost?
Editing can be expensive, I want to be up front about my rates as I know it’s scary as a new author to navigate these discussions. Every project is different but I want you to know what to expect. Most projects fall somewhere in the middle of the ranges below. The lower range is for people with a project already at an exceptional place, the higher end indicates a projects with extensive issues.
One-on-one coaching is quoted at $75 per hour for one off sessions.
My one-on-one coaching package is $1,200. Within the package you’ll get ten coaching sessions, weekly check-ins, ongoing access to me for questions, my novel planning service, and feedback on some of your writing, as well as great discounts to any editing services.
Group coaching is $450 including lifetime access to the Facebook group meaning you can work alongside any future coaching programs without paying again.
Manuscript assessments are quoted at $700 to $1,000 for a 100,000 word novel.
Basic developmental editing is quoted at $1,000 to $1,300 for a 100,000 word novel. Intense developmental editing is quoted at $1,300 to $2,000 for a 100,000 word novel depending on how much support you require.
Line editing is quoted at $600 to $850 for a 100,000 word novel.
Copy editing is quoted at $600 to $850 for a 100,000 word novel.
Proofreading is quoted at $300 to $500 for a 100,000 word novel.
Formatting is a flat price of $25 for ebook or $40 for ebook and print.
Planning for a single novel will be quoted at no more than $150. The quote is dependent on the kind of help you require and how much time it will take. These quotes usually start around the $50 mark.
For an exact quote, please email me at CateEdits@gmail.com