Outlined below are all the services and packages I provide. If you need something that isn’t covered below, please email me to discuss your needs.
One-on-one Coaching (One Off)
If you’re just looking for a bit of extra guidance in something specific, some help getting started, or feedback on a specific piece, this is a great option. You’ll get a brief pre-session check-in so I can get an idea of what you’d like to chat about, then we’ll jump on Skype and I’ll coach you through it.
One-on-one Coaching Package
This package is great for people who are serious about writing but need some help to get things done. I’ve worked with seasoned authors who aren’t gaining the traction they want and authors who are working on their first novel. This includes 10 one-on-one coaching sessions, my novel planning service below, a detailed schedule to help you achieve your goals, this is all done at your own pace. That might mean we do a coaching session once a week or once a month.
Novel and Series Planning
You’re right at the start of the writing process. You’ve got an idea and some characters but you want a professional to offer some advice and suggestions about your plan before you start writing. Whether you’re planning a standalone novel or a series this will help steer you in the right direction from day 1.
This is a very individual service, it could be as simple as you sending me a one or two page list of scenes or as complicated as detailed foreshadowing and scene summaries. You tell me how much support you need and we’ll tailor something that fits your needs.
You’ve finished your first draft, you’ve had a look through it yourself and made a few changes but you need some more help. The story is okay but you think it could be better, the characters are okay but you know they could be better developed. You don’t know how to do it.
That’s where I come in. I work with my clients to improve their novel from a developmental standpoint. This is the most intensive and often the most difficult form of editing to go through as a writer. That is why you need an editor like me who will treat you kindly as I help you pull apart your story and put it back together.
I’ll look at your plot, characters, pacing, setting, storytelling, and point out inconsistencies. You will get a personalized report along with in text comments. I’ll act as your sounding board and work with you to produce a page turner.
The focus of line editing is at the sentence and paragraph level. By this point, I expect that the author has gone through their work at least once or twice. The scenes occur in the correct order and the plot is written in stone.
Line editing will tighten up your prose and help it to sing. I want to enhance your voice and use each sentence to paint a picture for the reader.
If you don’t know if line editing is for you, take a look through your manuscript for these key indicators: repeated words and phrases or more than a few uses of words like ‘was’, ‘were’, ‘very’, ‘that’ on most pages.
This one is a must for all authors. It doesn’t matter how great your own skills are—you will miss things.
Copy editing is one of the last steps before you hit publish. Your plot is great, your prose sings; now is the time to make sure you’re writing is grammatically correct and stylistically consistent. When you work with me at this stage, you can choose from US English, UK English and Australian English. I’ll provide you with a style sheet which you can use for the rest of the books in your series. In addition, I’ll check for usage issues, spelling and grammar errors and stylistic consistency.
Once your manuscript is edited, you’ll want to make sure it is properly formatted. You can find plenty of options for simple formatting in Word and these are adequate for most authors needs. Particularly for ebooks. Once you start adding in print books it can get a little more difficult. If you’d like a professional look for your ebook and/or print book, or you’re not sure how to format within word, I can format your book for you.
Proofreading is your very last step. You’ve got your novel fully edited and formatted, now you need a final set of eyes to find any sneaky errors that have slipped through the cracks.
You may notice that these packages all have a bit of a fantasy theme, that’s just because I’m really a giant nerd at heart. As I mentioned, I work with all genres so don’t let my nerdy nature put you off.
Single Book Packages
Every single book package includes a 10-15% discount off the total price.
- Kobold — One edit of your choice from developmental, line, or copy. Plus proofreading.
- Ogre — Novel planning. One edit of your choice from developmental, line, or copy. Plus proofreading.
- Yeti — Novel planning, developmental editing, line editing, copy editing, proofreading. (This is my most popular option).
- Dragon — Group or one-on-one coaching. Novel planning, plot critique, developmental editing, line editing, copy editing, and proofreading.
Every series package comes with a 15-20% discount of the total price.
- Goblin Horde — One edit of your choice from developmental, line, or copy for each book in your series. Proofreading for each book in your series.
- Chimera Chase — Novel planning for each book in your series. One edit of your choice from developmental, line, or copy for each book in your series. Proofreading for each book in your series.
- Vampire Legion — Novel planning for each book in your series. Developmental editing, line editing, copy editing, and proofreading for each book in your series. (My most popular series package).
- Kraken Collective — Group or one-on-one coaching. Novel planning and plot critique for each book in your series. Developmental editing, line editing, copy editing, and proofreading for each book in your series.
Send me an email at CateEdits@gmail.com to discuss any of the services you see above.